Take It From The Top
Imagine your child sharing the stage with Broadway stars and future Tony Award winners.
Our Take It From The Top musical theater workshops are taught by a vibrant, talented team of experienced Broadway professionals who take time out of their shows and schedules to come to East Lansing and engage with local students.
Carefully selected to provide a safe and invigorating atmosphere for the study of voice, acting and dance, our teaching artists are leaders in the performance field and will advance your skills, regardless of your current level of experience.
Five-Day Musical Theatre Workshops
New to performing or want to strengthen your technique?
- Explore the “triple threat” disciplines of music, dance, and acting in a safe, fun environment
- Receive feedback from a top New York casting director
- Showcase your talents in a recital performance at the end of the week
Pre-Teen: ages 10-13
Teen: ages 14-19
Creative Kids: A special program for younger students (age 7-9), with age-appropriate material and a shorter day.
Dates: June 25-29, 2018
Monday – Thursday
10am – 5pm
- CREATIVE KIDS
10am – 3pm
- Noon – 5:30pm Rehearsal
Capacity: 25 students each workshop
Application/Payment Deadline: June 18, 2018
Advanced and Junior Advanced Workshops
Are you already an experienced performer looking to aim higher?
Advanced workshop (ages 16-25) will focus on The Addams Family, while Junior Advanced (ages 10-15) will work on Shrek the Musical.
Audition Dates and Requirements
To audition for the Advanced and Junior Advanced workshop, please register online for a 5-minute audition slot.
Once accepted you will receive instructions on how to apply/make a payment for the Advanced or Junior Advanced Workshop.
Saturday, April 28 and Sunday, April 29, 2018, 10am-2pm at Wharton Center.
- If you cannot attend, submit your audition electronically to [email protected] no later than Friday, May 4, 2018
- Registration for live auditions closes on Monday, April 16, at 5pm.
- Acceptance into Advanced or Junior Advanced Workshops will be announced Friday, May 11, 2018
- Please prepare a brief musical theatre song (no more than 1 minute long) that shows off your voice and range.
- There will NOT be an accompanist. You may sing a Capella OR you may bring an accompaniment or karaoke track. We will provide a speaker with headphone jack for your device.
- Please also bring a picture and resume if you have one.
- Applicants may enroll in the Pre-Teen/Teen Workshop if not selected to participate in the Junior Advanced or Advanced Workshops
Advanced: ages 16-25,
Focus on The Addams Family
Junior Advanced: ages 10-15
Focus on Shrek the Musical
Dates: June 25-30, 2018
- Monday – Friday
10am – 5pm
Capacity: 20 students each workshop
Payment Deadline: June 18, 2018
- Monday – Friday
One-day Adult Workshop
Looking for an evening of fun exploration of your inner star?
An evening of theatre instruction and casual cabaret—have a blast while enhancing your presentation skills and confidence. Prepare a 32-bar cut of a musical theatre piece, or any song you love—bring sheet music. Please wear comfortable clothes and shoes to move in.
Wednesday, June 27, 2018
Capacity: 25 students
Application/payment due: June 18, 2018
Past Take It From The Top Instuctors
- Laura Bell Bundy (Co-founder), Tony Award® nominee, Legally Blonde, Wicked
- Paul Canaan (Executive Director), Kinky Boots, Thoroughly Modern Millie
- Billy Porter Tony Award® winner – Best Actor in a Musical, Kinky Boots
- Carlos Encinias, Les Misérables, Mamma Mia, Scandalous
- Shoshana Bean, Wicked, Hairspray
- Curtis Holbrook, SpongeBob Squarepants the Musical
- Connor Gallagher, (Casting Director / Choreographer) Elf, Tangled
- Rachel Hoffman, (Casting Director) Telsey + Company
Summer 2018 Timeline
- March 1
- April 28-29
Advanced/Junior Advanced auditions at Wharton Center
- May 4
Audition videos are due
- May 11
Advanced/Junior Advanced casts announced
- May 18
Scholarship Applications are due
- June 18
Applications and payment for all workshops, including Creative Kids and One-day Adult Workshop, are due
- June 25-30
Take It From The Top Workshops
Questions? Please contact Kelly Stuible-Clark at [email protected] or (517) 884-3166.
Registrations are filled on a first come, first served basis for all above classes. Apply early to guarantee your spot.
Take It From The Top is a national arts alliance dedicated to providing quality education enrichment through music, dance and theatre to students and other organizations worldwide. Our primary goal is to serve as a catalyst for creativity for aspiring artists through professional mentoring, workshops and structured programs that will inspire confidence and provide students a pathway to attain their highest potential.
Our generous sponsors ensure the cost of Take It From The Top is as low as possible.
Take It From The Top is made possible in part by Karyn’s Dance Place, Inc. with additional support provided by John and Ethel Anthony; Linda Arens; and Bonnie Knutson.
Photos by Harley Seeley