May 5, 2021
Take It From The Top and whARTon At Home Summer 2021
Professional-Level Virtual Theatre Workshops Taught by World-Class, Working Broadway Professionals
EAST LANSING, MI – Registration is open for the 2021-22 Season of TAKE IT FROM THE TOP, a series of engaging virtual classes offered through Wharton Center Institute for Arts & Creativity. Participants—from pre-teens to young adults and beyond—receive a unique opportunity to train with a brilliant team of leading Broadway professionals. In addition, registrations are now being accepted for whARTon At Home Summer Series of performing arts classes for all ability levels.
Take It From The Top Virtual Intensives
Paul Canaan and a team of Broadway professionals instruct virtual musical theatre master classes in various topics, including auditioning, rehearsing, performance, individual coaching, and more. These courses are structured for all levels and designed to inspire and connect students with other artists and their own passions.
Participants: Beginners to seasoned professionals, 5th grade-college.
- The HITS
July 19-23, 2021, 10am-3pm $175
For students grades 5-12
- Participants will explore the “triple threat” disciplines of music, dance, and acting from various musical theatre styles and influences.
- With a greater capacity for engagement, this virtual program will also allow for more Broadway professionals to engage our students in master classes and Q&A sessions. At the final showcase (Saturday, August 7, 2022), participants will perform for friends and family in a virtual showcase featuring The HITS of the week.
- Creative Kids
July 19-23, 2021, 10am-12pm $100
For students entering grades 2-4
- Students entering grades 2-4 will explore engaging theater activities as they sing, dance, and act with our team of Broadway professionals each day. Solos and a group number will be recorded and featured in our final video showcase, The HIT!
July 25-30, 2021, 10am-3pm $225
For students grades 5-College
- For students in grades 5-college, The TIFTT Company is for students with a serious interest in musical theatre performance and are looking for a more personal, in-depth training program. Company members going into grades 5-8 will work on Disney’s Descendants, and our 9th grade-college students will put together Legally Blonde.
- Adult Workshop
July 28, 2021, 7-10pm $25
- Join Paul Canaan and his team for an entertaining night of singing and dancing. Participants will learn some Broadway choreography and can sing for individual coaching. No experience is necessary, and all are welcome!
A limited number of scholarships are available for TIFTT.
TAKE IT FROM THE TOP was developed by Tony Award® nominee and Legally Blonde star, Laura Bell Bundy, and Paul Canaan, assistant dance captain of 2014’s most Tony® nominated show, Kinky Boots.
Take It From The Top is sponsored by Jackson National Life Insurance Company and Karyn's Dance Place with additional support from Linda Arens; Bonnie Knutson; and Rich Sneary
whARTon At Home Summer 2021
Join Wharton Institute for Arts & Creativity Staff for a variety of classes in performing arts. With courses aimed at all interest levels, you will have the opportunity to learn from and create alongside professionals right from the comfort of your own home.
Weekly, May 17-June 25 (days/times vary)
- Monologue and Scene Study for Teens
Wednesdays, 4-5pm $35
For students grades 8-12
This course will focus on acting skills within scene and monologue study for beginners and experienced performers alike. Instructor Sarah Hendrickson will lead participants through exercises and activities centered on creating character, listening and responding, and intent and objective, all within the context of age-appropriate material.
- Introduction to Theatre
Thursdays, 4-5pm $35
For students grades 5-8
Partnership with Office of Extension 4‑H
Students in grades 5-8 will get a broad, introductory look into the many areas that make up theatrical arts, including acting, movement, voice, improv, design, and more.
This highly interactive course will feature a new topic each week, with professional Wharton Center teaching artists and education staff from Michigan State University Extension 4-H.
- Introduction to Voice
Tuesdays, 4-5pm $35
For students grades 3-5
Led by Kelly Stuible-Clark, this course is for beginning and intermediate students alike, and will introduce the basics of singing- breath, production, registration, style, vocal health – in an age-appropriate format for students in grades 3-5. Students will sing for each other in a supportive and positive environment and have the chance to “perform” for family and friends in the last week.